The Power of TK

Write to Me:
yousaytomatoblog[AT]gmail[DOT]com

See Also

100 Things About Me
The Bull's Testicles Project
Russia Trip: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
Best of 2002: Movies, Books, Music.
Best of 2003: Movies.
Best of 2004: Movies, Books.
Best of 2005: Theater, Books.
Best of 2006: Theater, Books, Television.
Blogroll

Archives

Other Sites

My Slate archive
Slate
Day job podcasts
YST Movie Madness
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, October 10, 2002

Catching Up
For various reasons too dull to go into here I wasn’t able to use my home computers Monday and Tuesday, and even though I’ve only been reblogging for two weeks, I was really jonesing for my fix. So, what’s been going on?

1. Russian is coming along nicely. Now I’m grateful that there was an alphabet to learn. It’s just an alphabet—nothing complicated like a syllabary—so even after just 4.5 hours of class I’ve moved from looking at the textbook and getting a headache to experiencing one of those movie moments where the letters blur out of and into focus and suddenly start making sense. I still read with the halting manner of a kid in a “Hooked on Phonics” commercial, but at least I can read.

2. I have a big decision to make. Two weeks from today, as part of the Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, it’s “Revenge of Cine-oke,” karaoke with a cinematic twist, where you sing along to your favorite movie scenes. At first I was planning on doing “I’ve Never Been to Me,” from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but after someone in vanpool expressed interest in a duet, something from West Side Story is looking more likely. We can’t decide between “A Boy Like That/I Have a Love” with me as Anita and J. as Maria, or “America” with J. as the girls and me as the boys. “America” would be more spectacular, but harder to stage with just the two of us. Thots?

3. I’m almost through with Tribulation Force, but I STILL don’t know what’s going on with New Babylon/Baghdad, so it’s possible I’ll have to read the next one, Nicolae: The Rise of Antichrist, to find out. And I’m really not sure I can manage that.

UPDATE OCT. 14: We decided to do "America" for cine-oke, despite its staging problems. Now I have to look for a purple shirt so I can look like Nardo.
|